



Community Budget Review Committee

Meeting Agenda

Thursday, November 17, 2022

5:00pm - 7:00pm

[Meeting Link]

CBRC ATTENDEES: Roger Kirchner, Paul Freese, Max Niederman, Sonya Harvey, Oscar Calvert, Lisa Selman, Renee Anderson, Dashiell Elliott, Stephan Lindner, Karanja Crews, Tasha Ferguson, Mariah Dula, Grace Groom

STAFF ATTENDEES: Jordan Cooper, Nolberto Delgadillo

5:00pm

- Welcome & Introduction (name, pronouns, role, ice breaker question)
 - Live transcription available in Zoom
 - Meeting is recorded and posted to YouTube
 - No public comment tonight
- Remarks from the CFO (Nolberto Delgadillo)
 - Purpose of the CBRC
- Announcements: Engagement events coming up

Notes:

Introductions: ND, RK, PF, MN, SH, OC, SL, DE, LS, RA, KC, TF, JC

JC: Housekeeping and no public comment.

ND: Reminded members that this is a committee of the board and we follow OR and open meeting guidelines. Also opened up the meeting by talking about the purpose and components of CBRC.

RA: Asked if board directors will be here.

ND: Yes, Director Lowery is the board liaison this year and will attend meetings. Today she couldn't make it.

ND: Over the next few weeks we will be holding some community engagement events and other forms of engagement.

JC: Once we have dates of community events finalized, I will send you all of that information. Two events will be in person at school sites. One will be virtual, recorded and posted to YouTube so folk can go back and watch. Those videos will also be translated.

5:30pm

- Elect Chair/Co-Chairs/Vice Chair

- Adopt Operating Guide
 - 15 min to review
 - Add comments/suggested edits in document or in chat
 - Questions

Notes:

RK: Talked about his role last year as committee chair and some responsibilities as chair.

ND: Chair will likely only spend a couple extra hours a month with setting up agenda for committee and keeping members informed/engaged.

RA: The committee will work collectively on reports.

KC: Nominates RA

RA: No thank you

DE: What is best practice? Should someone who has participated in CBRC in the past be the chair?

RK: Only four continuing members

ND: Folx getting to know each other makes sense. What is challenging is that the committee was very small last year. With so few continuing members, we are totally open to suggestions.

TF (in chat): I've no chairperson experience but I am open.

RA: I think that it could be a person with leadership skills and someone who wants to do it.

LS: What could work is have a chair/co-chair—perhaps a veteran and a new person. For new folx it would be good to go back and watch meetings

ND: We can give new members a couple of meetings to decide on chair/co-chair. We will share prior meetings so members can learn more.

Group decided to hold off on electing chair/co-chairs and will return to this discussion at the next meeting

Operating Guide Discussion

Members reviewed the operating guide and made notes and suggested edits/updates which will be proposed to Director Lowery and the board.

MD: What guidelines are we using for the format of the meetings? Does it have to be virtual?

JC: There are no guidelines stating we have to meet virtually. The format is determined by the committee members whether it is in-person, virtual or a hybrid.

ND: This decision could be delayed until there is a chair? We are fine either way as staff, but just a thought.

SL: Quorum is mentioned but not defined

ND: It would be good for us to call that out

6:00pm

- CBRC Resources (member portal, website, calendar, etc.)
 - CBRC Member Portal

- Text Option (yes/no)
- PPS CBRC Website: <https://www.pps.net/Page/1677>
- Google Drive
- [YouTube Playlist](#)
- Calendar
- How does the committee prefer to collect questions from members?
 - Ex. CBRC Chair collects questions and presents to staff
 - Ex. CBRC uses a digital tool to ask questions and answers can be seen by everyone

Notes:

JC: I just created the CBRC Member Portal over the last few weeks. Hopeful it will be helpful to you and make things more accessible. I welcome feedback and suggestions on how to improve this over time.

JC took CBRC members on a tour of the member portal.

JC: The committee will need to decide how they would like to collect questions from members to be answered by staff. I have created a google form and linked a spreadsheet to the member portal if that is something you want to use. Another possibility is that the chair collects questions and brings them to staff.

RK: Is this member portal available to the public?

JC: The portal is for members only, however, all of the information in the portal is available on the PPS website.

JC: Please let me know if you would like me to text you reminders for upcoming committee meetings. MD & TF want a text reminder

JC: There is also a Google Drive that you can access for materials. There is also a YouTube playlist of CBRC meetings I have linked. I will also add all of the CBRC meetings and other events in the CBRC shared calendar.

MD: We could use a google form to ask questions and keep in a spreadsheet.

RK: In the past we had the chair collect questions just to prevent overloading the staff.

GG: Who would post the questions and answers after they are submitted to the Google Form?

JC: I have linked a spreadsheet in the member portal where questions and answers will be compiled.

Committee decided to use google form and linked spreadsheet in the portal to ask questions.

6:15pm

- Confirm 22-23 CBRC calendar (potential dates)
- Confirm Meeting Format
- Meeting time (some members have asked this to shift)

Notes:

JC: We need to select meeting dates and determine start time. Below is a list of potential dates.

Results of Doodle Poll (most members available):

November 17th
December (discuss available options)
January 12th
February 2nd
March 2nd
March 16th
April 13th
April 27th
May 4th (Board work session)

Potential Dates (other available Thursdays):

January 19th
February 9th
February 16th
February 23rd
March 9th
March 23rd
April 20th

December Options:

1. No meeting in December
2. Meeting not on Thursday
3. Asynchronous Learning in December (staff provides learning resources)

Discussion:

ND: Consideration is that life happens. We know not everyone will be able to attend every meeting. This is just to get us as close to everyone's availability as possible.

RA: Does not want meetings before 6pm. Meeting dates above she can do.

GG: Would like a later start time. After 6pm.

DE: Will go with majority - doesn't necessarily want meetings to go late (after 6pm)

TF: Flexible with timing.

MD: has a preference for 5:30 or later

ND: meetings last year didn't typically last the two hours, were done early, and we could also look at going less than 2 hours.

RK: Committee has historically started at various times. As long as we are timely the meetings can go quick. Also depends on format (virtual or in person).

RK: Let's vote on 5:30pm or 6pm start time

RK: All dates in chat are fine with him. Also open to changing the hour. In favor of not meeting in December but anyone who wants async opportunities, open to that as well.

Start Time Discussion:

SH: 530

GG: 6

MN: Either

SL: Either

KC: 530

DE: 530

TF: 530
OC: either
RK: either
MD: 530 or later

December Meeting Discussion:

Options:

1. No meeting in December
2. Meeting not on Thursday
3. Asynchronous Learning in December (staff provides learning resources)

MD: 2 > 3 > 1

SH: 3

OC: 3

KC: 2

SH: 3

LS: 3

RK: 1 or 3

GG: 3

RF: 3, 1, 2

RA: 2

DE: 3

RK: Motion to approve suggested dates

RA: Seconds

No issues from group

Approved Dates

6:35pm

- Questions and Answers

Notes:

KC: Can you clarify "evaluate" in the operating guide?

ND: Answer (see transcript)

KC: When is first proposed presented?

ND: End of april typically

KC: Do we get it before the public?

ND: Board get's it in advance and then CBRC to give time to process. Last year we were understaffed and it took longer than usual. The book itself is huge and compliance driven.

RK: We have a very short time frame to review the book and turn around a report.

KC: Is there preliminary things we can review prior to the proposed going out?

RK: we will be briefed on various sections throughout the year.

7:00pm

- Closing
 - Announcement of the next meeting date and time

Notes:

Happening January 12th, 2023 w/ async work in December

Transcript:

Excited to

Nolberto Delgadillo: It's excited, uh exciting to to be here with you all as we kick off another year of the community. Budget Review committee. Cbr: It's one of those things I try to like mitigate using acronyms, so you'll catch me here and there because we do

Nolberto Delgadillo: have uh acronym soup all the time so trying to um mitigate that.

Nolberto Delgadillo: But uh, why, now we just kick it off with introductions. Uh, I know there's a few familiar faces here, and other folks that are are familiar names as well on the screens uh other folks that are here in you for uh the first time. So Why, no, i'll kick it off,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and then I will popcorn out, and then the next person can then popcorn out accordingly,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and we'll take it from there, so my name is, and my pronouns are he him uh I'm, the chief financial officer for Portland public schools. I've been here for almost two years, so uh, no longer new, no longer have excuses, so I can't. I can't do that.

Nolberto Delgadillo: But nonetheless, um

Nolberto Delgadillo: I I I really am excited to be supporting this process and and kicking off another year, and I see that we have a uh icebreaker question. So um, I guess that's up to me. I don't see one here posted uh. So then i'm going to go with uh, what was your favorite class

Nolberto Delgadillo: in school? That's like, you know. Maybe that's not too long ago. But then there are others,

Nolberto Delgadillo: or maybe, like you know, I I won't give away my my age. But then my favorite class in school was high school and believe it or not, it was an elective that was organic chemistry. So that was uh, my favorite class, because we did a lot of cool experiments in the class,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and it influenced me so much that that was my undergraduate major. So I was a major in chemistry

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, and an amazing teacher. Uh Mr. De Laosa. So wherever he may be, shout out to him, Uh: so yeah, i'm gonna popcorn out to Roger.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Good evening. Uh my name is Roger Kirchner. I use e him uh i'm a volunteer with one of public schools, so I work regularly over Franklin High School. Um, uh, I've uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: probably the longest serving member of Cbr. They've been on for over a decade. Um Um, My favorite subjects in high school. Um, uh where math and history um um

ROGER KIRCHNER: and um,

ROGER KIRCHNER: and I was a political science major later in the college, and so uh and I uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh tend to be a political junky as uh Jordan, the not so well so uh, because i'm

always bugging him about something. But anyway, um uh, I attend board meetings on a regular basis.

Uh and um, I would encourage all of um uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: committee members to uh to do or to follow uh, because uh the board, as they uh take action throughout the year. Uh,

ROGER KIRCHNER: it does have fiscal impact.

No,

ROGER KIRCHNER: so i'll go to the next person. How about Paul?

Paul Freese: Hi! Paul Freese? Uh I use he hem pronouns and um. My favorite class was uh probably high school physics. We got to do. We got to build contraptions like a mouse trap car and mouse trap, catapult and a Rebecca Goldberg machine.

Paul Freese: That was uh one that stuck with me.

Paul Freese: All right. I will popcorn to you, Max.

Max: Hi! Uh, i'm, Max. Um

Max: I use he him pronouns, and i'm currently a junior at current high school.

Max: Uh, I think that my current favorite class is uh computer programming.

Max: Because um, I just really enjoy it.

Max: And uh, i'll popcorn on to Sonya.

Sonya H.: Thank you, Max.

Sonya H.: Hello, everyone. My name is Sonia Harvey, and I worked at Franklin High school as the business manager.

Sonya H.: Um, my favorite class uh English. It was actually English. I I really like learning different languages uh so English was one of them.

Sonya H.: I am going to choose Oscar

Oscar: any pronouns, and i'm uh right now, Junior, at Pcc. Gateway college program. Um, and my favorite class Right now, I would say, is i'm really liking math ninety-five?

Oscar: Um! But I know that may be an unpopular answer.

Oscar: Oh, and i'll give it to uh Stephen,

Lindner, Stephan: Hello, um My name is Stefan. I'm, i'm i'm a i'm a he's um i'm a i'm a half economist, and in fact, I did you um I

Lindner, Stephan: I I i'm really starting with that question. Um,

Lindner, Stephan: I I have some castes that we didn't like, but uh, I think if I wanted to pick one i'd like it would be history really enjoyed this thing. Um next person is there yet?

Dashiell Elliott: Hi! My name is Dasha. Um she her pronouns and um the President Ceo of Grant, makers of Oregon and Southwest Washington. Um. And I would have to go with high school In my favorite class was forensics. Um. My teacher would set up the classroom like an entire crime scene, but famous crime scenes um, and we would need to solve them. Um! Given all the evidence, true evidence that was from the case. So it was really interesting.

Dashiell Elliott: Um! And I will go with Uh Lisa.

Lisa Selman: I am the chief financial officer for Real Estate Development company, and I've spent many years in the public and private sector working in accounting and

Lisa Selman: kind of a transition to urban planning. So Um and I have a son at Lincoln High School, and my favorite subject, I guess, was math. Yeah. A lot of really good math teachers along the way from elementary school to high school and into college. So

Lisa Selman: um I will. As Renee on,

Lisa Selman: i'll pass it to you, Renee.

Good evening. Uh yes, my name is I. Uh,

and a retired feature.

Renee Anderson: I thought math at Grand High School, and my favorite class was,

Renee Anderson: I am with the organizations like the educator, the program, the organization that presented to the board, requesting that

Renee Anderson: the Esc building they rename is the do for profit.

Renee Anderson: That's what it is. Now

I will pass it on to Karanja.

Karanja Crews: I knew you was gonna pass it to me.

Karanja Crews: All right. Um Kiranja Cruz here. Um parent educator and the community um favorite subject. Um, my goodness, um.

Karanja Crews: I was struggling. I was just trying to think in bank and um

Karanja Crews: I mean, the only one I can think of is maybe drafting

Karanja Crews: our media Literacy

Karanja Crews: one or two

Renee Anderson: you didn't pass it on

Karanja Crews: all right. Um,

Karanja Crews: see here,

Karanja Crews: I don't know who has it. Hasn't gone yet.

Renee Anderson: Uh,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): is that be Taz

Karanja Crews: Tas.

Tasz: Hello! My name is Taz. I'm a single mom with the community.

Tasz: Currently i'm an executive with a cell phone company.

Tasz: Um, i'm an engineer major and my favorite class in school would be math

Tasz: and physics and chemistry, but mainly math.

Nolberto Delgadillo: That's awesome. I I I think

Nolberto Delgadillo: we cover it. Uh, I think everyone got a chance to go. I I can go really quick. Yeah, Um. And then this is perfect Segue into a couple of the other points I want to share before we move on.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um. But yeah, I my name is Jordan Cooper. My pronouns are they them? Um. I am the confidential executive assistant to nobarto the Cfo um. My favorite class um was in high school. It was an alternative uh

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): program actually, for students who are struggling in school or uh struggling with um uh awful family situations or drug and alcohol issues. But anyway, it was a wonderful, wonderful program in Gresham Barlow School district

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): loved it very much,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and I was there. Um!

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So before we move on to

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um, or before I hand it back to Nobart. So just a few things. Um, just a reminder that all of these meetings are recorded. Um! They are live streamed on Youtube. Um. The recordings will also be available for you to go back and watch if you want um, which i'll be sending those to you regularly. Um. And later on i'll show you where you can find those

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um a couple of other things.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): If you are having a hard time hearing folks. Um, there's a live transcription feature on zoom at the bottom of your screen. It should show a little box with the letters Cc. In them, feel free to use that one hundred and fifty.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): And then tonight we, or in the moving forward, and the future will have opportunities for public comments.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um as per at our

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): regulations. Um, tonight we do not have any public comment, but I will be sure to let you all know in advance if we are going to have public comment.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): And now i'll pass it back to

Nolberto Delgadillo: thank you, Jordan. Uh, Yes, it's uh. It's always good to kind of sync up on the housekeeping rules, and just right as a reminder, it's a committee. So we do go through the Oregon um, and uh open meetings

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh guidelines and and statute. So we we, we follow those um and I, you know I, as is a kind of alluded to earlier excited to be here with you all, and really I I we have this uh remarks from the Cfo. But really I think it's uh

Nolberto Delgadillo: you all. I went through this incredible process uh head first into wanting to be on this committee, because right one of the key things that we do here is is, uh receive community input. Uh, As we look at

Nolberto Delgadillo: the superintendent's proposed budget, so that will happen. The The superintendent uh shares the budget in the spring timeframes. Usually it's late April,

Nolberto Delgadillo: but we'll be building towards that. We'll be building understanding and working towards uh providing information, having conversations with other key team members to help uh shape uh the the the inputs and information that are being used to guide the superintendent's budget, and ultimately having that

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh being tasked with uh being tasked by the Board to help provide feedback on the Superintendent's budget, and the other critical component is that the Cbrc also monitors, uh and on the local option Levy.

Nolberto Delgadillo: So that is an important tax property tax that helps fund um several hundred teachers, and we'll also have some information around like, what's a local option, Levy? How does that work? Uh? But that's also a critical role that Cbrc plays. And so

Nolberto Delgadillo: over the course of the next few months we'll be uh working towards

Nolberto Delgadillo: crescendo in in April, May. That culminates with a report from Cbrc to the board,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and I also would welcome. Uh Rene Lisa Roger. Other uh uh um Cbrc. Members who were here last year last year was like my first full cycle. And so it was. I think about my role in supporting uh the the conversations and being lease on with the board and and uh supporting uh the conversations here, it it'd be great if there was additional insight or uh contacts that uh

Nolberto Delgadillo: other members would like to share.

Nolberto Delgadillo: I don't need to put anyone on the spot You don't have to

Gary and

Kelly.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Yes, so um Director Lori was unable to make it today. She had a conflict with another uh meeting uh, but that they would be uh making um, they would be attending, although with Director Holland, I think maybe a little less frequent.

Nolberto Delgadillo: But uh for sure, Director Laurie is the Board liaison. She's the appointed board liaison to sit on this committee uh, but unfortunately today she was unable to make it,

ROGER KIRCHNER: and and she's also a former member of Cbrc before becoming a board of uh a director on the board.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Right

Nolberto Delgadillo: well

Nolberto Delgadillo: with with that in mind. Um, I like to share uh that over the course of the next few weeks we are going to be putting together some community engagements uh leading into to January time for him as Well, we'll be uh having presentations around like

Nolberto Delgadillo: some brief overview with communities uh our our migrant community. Um, our special like community Indian community, a few other groups, and Jordan can chime in and share more details as as their spearheading a lot of uh the coordination across a different

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh uh stakeholders to really share some insight into um

Nolberto Delgadillo: overview of the budget. Right? It's. It's no intent to submit to make anyone an expert, but just kind of general overview of how uh the district budget works, and then also an opportunity to start getting some feedback around some key strategic themes that um, as as the district starts thinking about

Nolberto Delgadillo: people, Time and money is that this is starts thinking about resources and budgets to achieve the board goals, because that's ultimately what the some of the key things that Cprc. Does is assessing. Well, how does How does the superintendent's proposed budget

Nolberto Delgadillo: designed to help support achieve the board goals? And so there'll be some ongoing community conversations as well.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Um. In addition to the conversations we have here. But then there'll be some some broader communicate conversations as well with the broader community.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Uh. But, Jordan, I welcome you to add anything else. Any other details.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yeah, I'll just say dates are getting finalized right now, but it'll be done um or completely final. Very soon. Um! As soon as we have um all of those dates down, I will send you all information on when those budget engagement events are happening.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um, in case you want to get involved um attend any one of them. Um! And just heads up two of them will be in-person events at two different schools, and then one of them will be one hundred and one

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): uh a virtual event. We do also plan on recording it and putting it on Youtube um and translating it so. Uh, if you miss out on any of the engagement events um, you can always go back and watch them. Um! And then one thing I forgot to say earlier I um. We

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): typically have our third team member with us, Alexander Martin. She's not here. Couldn't be with us tonight. She's typically doing the notes

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um for the meeting. So just a heads up i'm um working through some of the technical stuff, while also doing the notes, we also doing a couple of other things. So um, i'm going to try to pay attention as much as I can. And

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um. But yeah, if uh, if anything comes up, you don't have access to anything tonight. Um! That you need access to, or you're having troubles with anything, feel welcome to use the chat and chat me with real quick. You can also text me. Um, I know It's my my number a few times and emails. Um, So welcome to save that. But

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): that up there,

Nolberto Delgadillo: thank you. And uh, hopefully, Alexandra is feeling better. Um,

Nolberto Delgadillo: Something exciting for you all to consider is selecting a chair and co-chairs and vice chairs uh. So the next item on our agenda is really providing an opportunity for the committee to go through a process to identify who the

Nolberto Delgadillo: who would be? The chair co-chair, and um,

Nolberto Delgadillo: Roger, would you mind chiming in kind of like, you know you were the the you'd be passing the baton as as the chair from last year. Uh and uh, if you don't mind sharing just a few highlights, I like to say highlights uh of of the work, and and uh, we can then proceed with

nominations.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Um. Well, last year I I reluctantly took the job, because uh, I, we couldn't get anybody to step up and uh and and do it uh, uh, but so I I viewed my role as primarily a presiding person uh allowing uh uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: everyone to participate, and uh and to move the meeting right along. Um, I i'm a uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: I have a military background, and so i'm i'm very much a a uh a conscious of starting meetings on time and um

ROGER KIRCHNER: and and and we did the pretty good job to doing that last year, and um uh, and and and and and many meetings we actually concluded before,

ROGER KIRCHNER: for for the two hours, the allotment in the in the years that I have been on the committee that it's not always been the case. We've done several hours over. So um uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh, uh, if uh punctuality is important, and uh, and also is attendance. Uh, uh, so you You're not wasting time, but uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: trying to break a a member that was absent as to what has transpired, and what what has taken place, and are are dealing with questions that have already been answered, and so on. So, um i'm anxious that we get a a a person, or persons that that are willing to chair and um, and move us forward

Nolberto Delgadillo: and and thank you, Roger and i'll add that, in addition to some of the like, helping to facilitate the conversations and and keeping us on track, There's also some sidebar conversations with Jordan and uh myself as well, and just trying to coordinate topics or or managing questions. And And so there's some other administrative uh support functions. So maybe also

Nolberto Delgadillo: not. We're not talking about it.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Hours extra hours a week Uh, it may be an extra two hours a month, having a planning conversation uh, or or maybe, as we get closer to spring and drafting the letter that tends to be also a big lift, because the recommendation letter is something that the cbrc committee puts together. So the the chairs, whether it's a vice chair or the co-chair, you know help uh organize that kind of structure. It

Nolberto Delgadillo: piece it together. So I if anything that's probably one of the biggest lifts leading into the spring to meet um

Nolberto Delgadillo: that um! That that line is set that set forth by by the board.

The great thing was,

we all work on it together, so

that part

that made it

ROGER KIRCHNER: i'm. I'm hoping that made it easier right.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Oh, you can't hear me. We we were. You came across very light. I heard I was able to hear you, but i'm going to change over to my ipad. This has happened before, and I don't know how to fix it.

Nolberto Delgadillo: I keep going

uh leaving and coming back. But i'll just

Nolberto Delgadillo: i'll. I'll repeat what you said, because I was able to hear, and and one of the things that the Renaissance, or what Renee Shirt was at a benefit leading into this year was that uh the the letter was. There were sections of the letter that were assigned to folks collaborated it wasn't one person just working on it, and that helped make the process easier. And and and that was also as a result of of of the group coming together, working with the chair

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, and and figuring out what's the most effective way to complete the letter, so

that no single person is up to one in the morning completing it. I've heard stories before. Uh, so I I I would recommend against that. And the approach that the committee took last year seem to have worked out really well,

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, and assigning um certain sections.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Well, with that in mind, I will turn it over to you all, if it, as as you consider um electing a chair, making nominations. And so why don't we start with a chair?

Karanja Crews: I like to nominate Rene
uh no right. But that is not why you're on this.

No, thank you.

You thank you. Can you hear me?

Nolberto Delgadillo: Yes,

um.

Do we know people?

Karanja Crews: I nominated you because I feel like you have the you have a lot of experience like uh the Roger, I believe. So

Karanja Crews: That's the reason why I had nominated you.

Thank you.

Dashiell Elliott: So I guess my question is this? Is there a prerequisite? Um! So for folks to be in a shared uh or uh officer level position? Um, I guess wouldn't it be best practice if they had served on the committee Prior.

Dashiell Elliott: Um, but I guess it's just a general question since. Um

Dashiell Elliott: I, when I I think what they just said, Do we know folks well enough to be able to um nominate them?

ROGER KIRCHNER: I have that conversation with Jordan just prior to the meeting getting started, and um

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh it. It's my considered opinion that um! That uh,

ROGER KIRCHNER: a a, A person who is new to the committee might might find it difficult to chair uh effectively. But uh, it's not impossible. Um, um! But um!

ROGER KIRCHNER: I I guess

ROGER KIRCHNER: that that covers the subject. Really. Um, uh, there are very few uh veterans on the on the existing committee this this year. There are four of us uh uh and um

ROGER KIRCHNER: um

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh uh Lisa Last year was our vice chair, and and she took the lead in terms of our drafting uh, uh, our uh final recommendations, and so on. Uh, we do, uh, uh!

ROGER KIRCHNER: I have have here to for all of our consensus the building uh uh process uh and making our uh uh report, and um uh and and um

ROGER KIRCHNER: and I I I think that's the way the way to present the um. Otherwise we

ROGER KIRCHNER: might consider um a majority of the minority report, or something like that. But, uh,

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, and all the years that I've been on it's been a consultant in a in to add a little more detail. I think that, uh or that to it was that I think from it I the perspective of

Nolberto Delgadillo: folks getting to know each other makes sense. And I think last year, uh, it was deferred like until another session or so to make final uh decision on chair. And and what's challenging is when we think about the veterans, We had, unfortunately, a very small committee last year,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and so they really weren't so many folks that that carried over um,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and so right starting a new, if there is a totally open suggestions, if it's like, hey? Well, let's let's kinda continue to to Rogers Point like you know what uh you know, if it's consensus for the next few meetings, but it ultimately, I think that as

Nolberto Delgadillo: activities, whether it's uh Jordan having conversations with uh a point, person or two, point individuals to help structure is is important clean for myself, or whether it's with Uh Director Lori, it is something to consider

Nolberto Delgadillo: um. But if there are folks that would like to continue with the nomination. They can share a little bit about themselves we can think of. Uh, if there's a proposal to think about a different process that delays this, for you know, uh another session or two. That's also certainly something we can do.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Um, and I think it's just compounded with the challenge of I think those four individuals, Roger, right that that carried over versus like a a healthy group of ten individuals that that have experienced Cbrc.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Uh, but i'll I'll pause some and put myself on mute, and let you all have a conversation, and and see what you all think.

Lisa Selman: So I was just, I think

Lisa Selman: again, like we are. We have um a few people that have been on for several years, and I think, um,

Lisa Selman: I think what could potentially work is. We have a chair, co-chair, and it's a combination of a new person and someone that's like for myself. I'm in the third year, and I also have some other obligations, but I i'm certainly happy to help. But I do think

Lisa Selman: for new members. It would be good to go through a meeting to To understand what our process is. I will say that the the staff are amazing, and Jordan, in particular, is extremely helpful and helping facilitate

Lisa Selman: conversations and moving the meeting forward and helping establish the agenda. So I don't think people should think that it's it's extra work per se. It's really just I think, organization and helping facilitate conversation during the meetings. Um,

Lisa Selman: But again, yeah, I think we're at this, like we. We have some people last year, and some people in their first year, and I do think it's. It's really hard in the first ten minutes of a of a first meeting to to step forward particularly for new members, so my my vote would be to

Lisa Selman: let us run through a meeting or two, and then people can feel more comfortable about taking on a position like that. But that's just my opinion.

ROGER KIRCHNER: I concur with Lisa.

Tasz: Me too

Nolberto Delgadillo: great. Uh,

Nolberto Delgadillo: I think that. Uh,

Nolberto Delgadillo: yeah, if there are I that totally. I have no problems about that. I think ultimately uh, as as the committee wants to move forward. That that makes

Nolberto Delgadillo: that that makes sense to me uh there, aren't any um no, or or contrary points of views. We can continue with the agenda.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Can somebody repeat for me, please? Um! What that decision was,

Nolberto Delgadillo: I'll repeat it. And then, uh, Lisa, you can correct me. I'm going to check my understanding. Uh, because we have a lot of new new members who want to give uh new members.

Um a few meetings in to get a sense of of the meetings,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and then be able to have a uh co-chair. So someone that has um more experience be partnered with someone who is new to then work through together in tandem over the the

subsequent meetings.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Thank you,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and when it I agree,

Nolberto Delgadillo: awesome.

Nolberto Delgadillo: One of the things we can also do is we can share a few links as we work through the next few meetings we can share a few links from some of the prior meetings. Maybe some of the later meetings where we had, like

Nolberto Delgadillo: guest speakers, or or uh, or a more robust uh agenda, so that folks can also get a sense of like. Oh, if you watch this video from April tenth, or whatever the cases, it gives you a sense of of the of the uh, of the engagement and and activity.

Nolberto Delgadillo: And um, I think, to

Nolberto Delgadillo: emphasize something that Lisa said. Uh, Jordan's awesome. So a lot of the agenda major lives putting that information together uh Jordan gets ahead of it, and they do a great job of of structuring uh uh their folks's feedback and thoughts into the process.

Nolberto Delgadillo: If there aren't any other comments, we can spend fifteen minutes here, maybe a little more

Nolberto Delgadillo: for folks to take a look at the operating guide. And um, I think there were some minor edits that were done last year, But just as we get into the practice with a new committee, let's spend fifteen minutes to review,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and you can add comments, suggested edits. And then, as we get into uh identifying who the chair is, Then

Nolberto Delgadillo: we can have them. That structured conversation and finalizing what the operating guide uh would be, and and we can revisit it just kind of based on timing, and see where we are over the next few weeks. But if

Nolberto Delgadillo: I believe, Jordan, you put the link in the chat, so you all should have access to it. So let's take about fifteen minutes to review it.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Thank you. If anybody's having trouble with access. Let me know.

Um. I do know. Google Docs can be a little bit wonky with for folks who aren't using a gmail account.

Um, But

ROGER KIRCHNER: yeah, let me know, and i'm happy to get that to you in another format if needed.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Thank you, Roger. Yes, thank you, thank you.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): And if you um have comments on the operating guide, and you don't want to put them directly into the the guide or um, or having trouble with that, you can also put them in the chat, and I will copy them down.

Nolberto Delgadillo: You folks need more time. We're at about a five minute mark like five minutes remaining. But um

Nolberto Delgadillo: if you need more time to review, uh, please, you can

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh hit the

Nolberto Delgadillo: a hand feature

Nolberto Delgadillo: if you need a few more minutes,

Nolberto Delgadillo: hey? I don't. I don't see any hands up or it doesn't seem like folks need more time.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Great? Okay? Well, um. What we can do. Then we'll Oh, see, Corona. Okay, we'll have a well given uh five five minutes that way. We get to the fifteen minute mark.

No,

no, there's a couple of

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): uh comments in the in the guide that we can address

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): after we're after. Our five minutes is up

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): before we move on.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): It looks like Karanja is ready to go. Everyone else is good we can move forward.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um!

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So there was a couple of um before we move. Uh before we move on, there's a couple of notes in the um in the operating guide. That um I think we can address now. Um, so one um Mariah, who um joined us a little bit late this evening, but so happy she could make it.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um, she did. She did uh ask um in the comments, what guidelines are we using, to determine when to resume in-person meetings.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um, so uh

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): currently there are no guidelines that require us um to meet virtually. Um. It is at this point in time determined by the committee. Um, whether we would like to meet entirely in person or entirely virtual, or um have some sort of hybrid um option.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): And so One of the one of the items on the agenda today that we haven't gotten to yet is

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): uh starting the discussion on that, and then hopefully making a decision. Um around the meeting format,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and in also in, as we think about making a decision as well. If um if the group makes a decision that's awesome. Uh, and also thinking about um.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Whether it did this thing the decision gets delayed as a chair co-chair is identified just, though in an out there, you know, from my perspective, from our perspective. Um, we're fine either way, but it's just considerations for the committee to think through.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yes, thank you. Um. And then the other one. I wanted to mention that Sonya. Um uh answered, actually in the operating guide. Thank you, Sonia. Um. Lisa had asked if the date should be November through May for um cbrc meetings. Um! There are years where it kind of trails into June,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and and this year it doesn't seem to be the case. I think we're only going to May.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): But yeah, there are some years that that occurs

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): right. That's all I have to say on the operating guide. Um!

ROGER KIRCHNER: There have been years where the Cbrc. Has gotten under way of September, but

ROGER KIRCHNER: so,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): thank you, Roger. Does anybody else have comments regarding the operating guide that they'd like to mention.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I am saving your notes in that guide, like Roger, had said, the operating guide is,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and ultimately decided upon by the board. But we can at least bring these suggestions and edits.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um forward. Um! And perhaps we can save that for further discussion. Um, in a future meeting. Um! And perhaps when we have our board member liaison present

Um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Alberta, do you have anything else to say on?

Nolberto Delgadillo: And now I am fidgeting with my camera because it keeps shutting off and on. But I am here.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Okay,

Nolberto Delgadillo: hey? Thank you.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Just wondering about that.

Lindner, Stephan: Can I? Can I add a mine or comment.

Lindner, Stephan: There's a forum is mentioned, but not defined.

Lindner, Stephan: Could you repeat that? A. What is the mentioned, but not defined?

Nolberto Delgadillo: Oh, um! That's a good point. We do follow the traditional quorum um guidelines, and we don't have, like the math breakdown here. But I think it's a good point to call it out to that um based on

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh the uh. It's in the traditional sense. So it's like the fifty plus fifty, plus one uh, but it would be good to call it out and just define that uh, better, since we do follow, like the traditional uh open meeting rules.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Okay, are we? Do we have any more discussion on the um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): operating guide.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um! And so, just moving forward into the next portion of our agenda, I was going to go over a few different resources available to you, one of which is brand new. We just started one hundred and one.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I just started working on it a few weeks ago, and i'm hopeful that it will be very helpful to you. And so I say that because I welcome feedback um any

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um ideas or suggestions on how to improve um to just make things more accessible to you all the better. But um!

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): The next part is I want to first go over the Cbrc Member Portal,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and so i'm just going to go ahead and share my screen,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and just kind of walk you through it. But before I do that i'm going to put the

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I'm going to put the link to it in the chat.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So if you want to walk through it with me, that would be great.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): But i'm going to share my screen real quick.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So essentially um! Are you all able to see this

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): awesome

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um? So essentially it's just a Google site where we're going to store a lot of our um resources information materials that occur throughout the Budget cycle. And so just starting on this homepage one hundred and fifty.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um! I just tried to put uh not a lot on the front front page, but just things that I feel like would be uh most important to you. Um. And so on this first page I just went ahead and put

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um upcoming meeting agendas. I'm just once the meeting agendas are set. I'm just going to plug them in right there on the front page. So if you're ever wondering what the agenda is looking like in the next meeting it will be there. I've also included on this, from page one

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): a lot of helpful links. These links are to a whole bunch of different things I can think of. But again, if you can think of anything that will be helpful to you that I should include here, please let me know

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um. We have things from the Web, Our Cbrc web page that's on the

Vps website last Year's report is linked in here, including last year's local option Levy report um The budget volumes um. The budget books that were adopted last year are also in here. Um, the operating guide charter a whole bunch of other things.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um. So yes, please let me know if there's anything I should add there. Um! The last thing I linked in this front pages the operating guide. Of course. Um! If there are any updates to that, it will, I will update it in here as well,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): moving on from there.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So at the top of this site. You're going to see a whole lot of different tabs.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um! These tabs are um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): probably going to change a little bit over time, but I try to do my best to think of um a way to format this. That would be easiest for you. I have in here a page for two thousand two hundred and twenty-three that's our current year materials

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): mit ctl. And so if you were to click on that, as these meetings occur, i'm going to link in here um the agenda, and as well as the meeting recording once that is uploaded on Youtube, and then, if there are any resources that we discussed in the meetings One hundred and fifty

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um, specifically, you know, slide decks or other materials. I will link those down below in here as well. Um, if you hover over the meeting agendas. I did also include all of last year's um agendas, so these are all linked

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um in here. So if you click on any one of these agendas you'll see the agenda click on the video. I also included the recording. So I know we were talking earlier about going back um new members going back and watching some of the old materials. You can find that in here. Um! But of course you can also find that on the Pps Youtube um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): channel

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): the next um, or i'm going to skip over this next tab for now. But i'll come back to it. Um. I also included a tab for video resources. There are some resources or some uh board meetings work sessions that occur throughout the year where they're talking about the budget two hundred and fifty

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um, and also some of the other committees where they're talking about the budget. I'm going to try to link those in here as often as I can. Um, And of course, as we're moving forward throughout the year, and i'm looking at you, Roger, since you attend practically every meeting. Um!

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): You could let me know if I missed anything, and it's not in here. I will add it

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): so far. What I have included in here is the Board um work session on the ninth of November, where they're talking about the budget um. They invited education, resource strategies, Um, and one of our contractors to that meeting. Um! That's a really really informative one. I suggest you take some time watching. I also linked in here the um Levy Committee meeting that occurred. Um on the eighth

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): of November,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): that meeting specifically, if you're wanting to learn about the local option levy um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): so helpful I watched it myself. I'm not an expert on the levy, and I learned a lot um just by watching that um that meeting, so I I highly recommend it. And then, of course, there's other resources or videos come up throughout the cycle. I'll include those in here as well

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): going back up to the top calendar and meeting Link

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): in here. I have linked our Cbrc calendar. Um right now. We only have one meeting, so that's all you're seeing. But if you click on into this you can change the view to month or to week, one hundred and fifty

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um! I also include on this calendar those different board um events that are occurring throughout the year. Um, that are specific to the budget that will be helpful. Um! And then down below is our zoom meeting link that you can use

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): uh, or you can find that here very quickly. And then, once our dates are determined, i'm gonna put those all in here as well.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um! And then the last tab I'm not going to click into it, but because I don't want to share. Screen a bunch of contact information. But um! That tab will have a member and staff contact info

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): so that you can engage with each other. Um! Throughout the cycle.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yep, you always be able to find that in here. And then the last tab that I haven't gone over I skipped over earlier is the question, and answers Tab. One of the reasons I skipped over. That is because we haven't decided yet, or you haven't all decided yet how you would like to um take in questions um and

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): mit ctl, and how you would like Staff to answer those questions. So I added into our agenda a couple of examples of how that's occurred in the past two hundred and fifty

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um. In some instances the board share, or the committee chair Um is responsible for taking in all of the questions that you have, and then bringing those to the staff, the staff answers them, brings them back. That's one way. We can do it another way. We could do it that I have linked in here is

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): mit Ctl and um, you know a Google form. If you do want to do it that way we can. We can leave a button in this Google site where you can just quickly submit a question. Those questions will populate into a spreadsheet one hundred and fifty

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um, and then the staff will answer as quickly as possible. Um! And those will all be just stored in here, no matter what we're going to find a way to just store all of your questions and the answers to them, so that you can all see them

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): that way. We're not necessarily answering the same question over and over again, or nobody's missing any information.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): But we can develop this. Um, I suppose. When um we do finally have a chair and a co-chair. Um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): yeah, we can work through that for now. Um, I i'm happy to continue accepting your questions. Via email um or text chat. Um. However, you want to send questions? Um, I will compile those questions into this spreadsheet that i'm already using. Um, yeah, you know, from there.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So anybody have any questions about

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): this Google site.

Lisa Selman: I just want to say good work, Jordan. That's great that it's all in one place.

Karanja Crews: Yeah, make a comment. And uh, this is a great resource. Good job.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Thank you, Cronj: I appreciate that. Yeah, I last year certainly was a a pain. Um, just trying to keep all the information together we use um. We've historically used a Google um drive. However, not everybody in this group has gmail. Um wouldn't necessarily be able to access all of that there um that was going to be My other point. Um is, if you aren't currently using a gmail

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and having trouble accessing anything. Um, please let me know um,

or you could also create a gmail just specifically for this, if you wish. Um, but we'll find a way to to get you access to everything you need access to without email,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and i'll just quickly chime in. Um

Nolberto Delgadillo: Just huge shout out Uh, So for those of you who were on board last year, and it kind of were saw some of the meetings right? It's like

Nolberto Delgadillo: learning curve year two, and so uh I think we're as we're looking to create a central place for folks to access. Information is is going to be important because we

Nolberto Delgadillo: you want it at your fingertips, and and whether it's access to it or want to ask, reach out to someone. Uh. So thank you, Jordan, for for putting through that he, when when he first had this vision. I'm like I'm not quite sure I understand it, but go, for it looks awesome.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Thank you. Thank you. I appreciate that. Um!

ROGER KIRCHNER: I I uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: you've done this uh super job. I think that uh, And you've answered the question. I was gonna ask whether this was gonna be available to to the public because I did this today. Got asked by a teacher uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: for our previous uh reports, and I said, Well, it's on the website, and so on, and um and um.

ROGER KIRCHNER: So So that's where the public, with access stuff is on the website and not in this member portal.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): That's correct. Yep. Yep. This is going to only be for Cbrc members.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um. I've in the settings tried to limit access as in many as many in as many ways as possible. Um. But yeah, every all of most of almost, I I think, actually entirely. All of this information is available on the website, on the Pbs website, on the Cbrc page. Um. Other than maybe the member

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): information. But yeah, everything else is public.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Folks can can find it. Um, Also, if you have any suggestions tips on how to make that more accessible to our communities. Um also would love to take that in and work with you on. Improving

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): is, of course, beyond just access for you all. It's really important that all of our communities are able to access this information.

ROGER KIRCHNER: I I believe the website shows the committee membership. Um, but maybe uh, I I don't know I haven't looked at it for quite some time, but if there's a link there as to how to contact the committee. Um, Maybe that's generic enough uh, rather than at

ROGER KIRCHNER: giving out our individual

ROGER KIRCHNER: of our

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): yeah um as of right now, i'm the conduit for

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): every and all questions from community. But um! We'll look further into how we can, how we can do that and organize it so that it's um.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): It's not too much of a burden on any one person.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um, yeah,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): the um. If there's no questions about the the Google site. Um, I would like to move on to um our this text option that I have written on the agenda. Um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So I was hoping um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): hold on what everybody

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): you this is gonna happen every meeting, By the way, the lights always turn off around this time at the Central Office.

So you know, we're going to start like shaking around and trying to turn them on.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): You see, as waving our hands, do not, nor are we having fun. It's wonderfully embarrassing, and it's all over Youtube um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): mit ctl. And so the the text option. I I was hoping just to offer you all. If anybody here just wants to receive a text reminder. One hundred and fifty

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um when our next committee meetings are coming up. So every meeting i'm gonna send probably the the day before. Just a reminder saying, Hey, meetings tomorrow? Um, if you're wanting to receive a text notification as well. If you could just

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): put that in the chat and and and say, Yes, um! I can record that down, and i'd be happy to also text you when um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um just text your reminder when the meetings are

ROGER KIRCHNER: don't you have to have a a, a,

ROGER KIRCHNER: a, a private cell phone number to text.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Are you talking about me? I I mean, I have a work cell phone

ROGER KIRCHNER: that I use? No, no. But i'd say, if you want to text us, don't you have to have our cell phone.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yeah, I do have a number on uh file for each of you. Um, although please do let me know if that's a home like a not a cell phone that I can text um if it's call only,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): but i'm pretty sure everyone included their cell phone number when filling out the application. And

Nolberto Delgadillo: then I have this stored in that, and it would be um you all opt in in. So if if you want to receive right, a heads up and a reminder, so you can share that number otherwise uh we won't Use it

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): all right. Um! And I uh again, if you're missing anything um as i'm covering these resources, don't worry. I'm Also, i'll send them all to you via email um just in a in a package tomorrow. Um, along with other resources

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): that we've covered tonight. So the other couple of items I put in the agenda or the Cbrc website. Of course

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): that's a great place to direct community, as they're asking you questions and where they can find stuff.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): It's also the space that you can go to to find to find things. Um! The there is still is going to be a Google drive where i'm storing all this stuff, you all. Everyone who has a Gmail or a Pps email has access to that drive already. I've given you all access and linked it in the agenda. Um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): If you don't have a gmail um, you can feel free to use the Google site or let me know if you need access in another way. Um! And we can work on that. I also linked in here the Youtube playlist. Um, where all of our Cbrc meetings will be um stored, and then um I reference the calendar in here as well.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um which i'll be updating regularly if you go into the Google Calendar. You'll also notice that there's um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): uh the link, the zoom link in there, and the agenda for that current for that meeting will be also be in there. Um.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So the next

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): thing I wanted to get into was, How does the committee prefer to collect questions from members? We don't have to decide that tonight. Um! We could wait until there is a chair co-chair. Um! But I wanted to leave that up to you all to decide. Um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and does anybody here have any comments on that number? So if you also have anything to add,

Nolberto Delgadillo: you can add that to that too. But I you know, I I think, just from practice. Usually it's it's uh great to be able to receive it in a like single point of contact, so whether that doesn't necessarily mean a person, but like a Google form

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, because then it allows to collate it and organize it and be able to post it uh folks can go back and find it um in into right. Their emails work

Nolberto Delgadillo: in in a day. There's hundreds of emails, so it's just one of those like. Sometimes maybe it's an email, then a follow up with Jordan like, hey? There is also an email or question. Did you see it? Uh. So just kind of throwing out some ideas there, some of the things I've worked out uh, not just in this committee, but also like engaging with the board having um

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh uh a. A. A single intake process usually turns out better for tracking and ultimately for for sharing out

Mariah Dula: um and Mariah See your hands up. Yeah, I I'd love the idea of a Google form. Um, if Staff would be willing to perhaps develop that Um. And then when we have a chair and co-chair, and so forth. Um, perhaps delegating that responsibility from staff to to uh, those folks to

Mariah Dula: to monitor that or however, you've decided it.

Mariah Dula: But I Really, I really like the Google form. It's very transparent on the back end.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um, just note I If we do decide to go that route in on the Google site the button for submitted question. I already did create a Google form um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): and we could go ahead and use that if the committee decides they want to,

ROGER KIRCHNER: I think, as uh the Google Form is a an excellent way to go um uh a a, a a little clarification that we're. We're a committee of fifteen of this year. Uh, if you get fifteen different questions uh fired at the staff.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Um, they they're um

ROGER KIRCHNER: their uh workload uh uh increases uh,

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh considerably uh the the function in in in previous years of of uh routing them through the chair was to, if there is a commonality between questions that they are consolid, and the one and and so on, and the and it's not the the uh attempt to censor anybody from a uh uh in in, in in a subject area,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and I see Grace has her hand.

Grace Groom (she/her): Hi, I just was wondering about the Google Forum. Um,

Grace Groom (she/her): because and I think you just answered it, Roger? Thank you. I was wondering once the questions are put in. Um! Who would post them for the members to?

Grace Groom (she/her): I like it. Would it be on a um Google doc, like a like an Faq

Grace Groom (she/her): with a question, then an answer on the one side, or how that would work.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yeah, i'm gonna. I'll jump in real quick grace. Um, because I know you were um you to come in late? Um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I I just shared with you in the chat, the a link to the member portal that I was sharing with folks before you got here. Um, the um there will be a a Google sheet. Um where we're collecting all of those questions and answers. Um, it is linked in the Google site.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um in in the tab called questions and answers: Um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): uh! However, we decide to collect the questions. Um! They'll always end up being uh stored in a Google sheet, anyway, and and you'll have access to that here. And then, of course, if there's ever a time where you're struggling to find it, you can let me know, and i'll. I'll make

sure that you can. You get access to it.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): But the Google sheet will be stored in the Cvrcc. Shared drive. So um!

You all will have access to it either way

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): in that shared Google drive.

Thank you.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): God you could be here.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Are we ready to move on to the next thing?

Nolberto Delgadillo: I think So yeah,
cool.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): The fun part we got to do now is decide or confirm dates.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So in the um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): the agenda. But i'm also going to put it in the chat

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): is a list of dates um that folks are most available, based on the
doodle poll that I sent out a while back. Um,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I would like for you all to just review those dates. Um, and perhaps
we can let the group um, or

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): go ahead and let us know if um. You have any comments on those
dates, or would like to make suggestions on changing those dates. The other thing we have to um
decide to this evening, or at least discuss this evening is um the time of the um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): of the uh the meetings. So it over the last budget cycle. It was five
Pm. To seven Pm. However, I to know that there are folks who um have have shared that That is a
struggle for them. Um. So if you have any

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): suggestions on moving that time, Let us definitely let folks know
tonight. And

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): yeah, i'm gonna

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I'll pass it over to you all

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): to discuss.

Nolberto Delgadillo: I'll quickly chime in. Uh. You know, some of the considerations here is that life
happens. So we know that you know things happen, and we have this great plan in place. But then, uh
current balls thrown out. As for whatever reason. So as we put these calendar on the date, it really is

Nolberto Delgadillo: like trying to put together um some whole. Some people's calendars, knowing
that right life happens. It's not going to be one hundred. We know It's going to be maybe difficult

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh for uh, some folks to attend all meetings. As for you know, one reason or
another. Um! And then also, just as you, as you all. Look at the dates. I can't recall if it was um

Nolberto Delgadillo: at some committee meeting, like one of the dates was on spring break, and it's
like wait. No one's going to be here. So let's load that. That's a good call, you know. Good catch uh it
says as just things to consider as as we go through assessing those States.

Renee Anderson: I would like to see the meetings not start before six.

Renee Anderson: Can you hear me?

Renee Anderson: Okay, that's my ipad, and then and and the meetings that we that are on the
schedule right now I can do but that February ninth a potential backup. I cannot do.

Renee Anderson: That's not on this list. It's on the agenda.

Renee Anderson: It's not on the

Renee Anderson: chat list, but on the agenda.

Grace Groom (she/her): A later start. Time.

Grace Groom (she/her): I have a standing up

Dashiell Elliott: um for me uh sorry for me. All the uh dates and times work. Well, I think, as we get later start times that's going to start to become a little bit more difficult. Um. But um yeah, I'll just go with what the majority goes with.

Tasz: Yeah, me, too. This is taz i'm pretty flexible. Um with as far as timing as of right now, but it could change. So I agree.

Mariah Dula: I'll just time, and I can do all these dates. I would have a preference for five, thirty or later.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So just to um go over what I've heard so far. It sounds like quite a few of you would like to see a start time after six Pm.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Six or or after some time after six.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): You say that's correct.

Dashiell Elliott: Well, Well, i'm i'm saying I I would prefer to not see it go beyond um start past six, because I guess they're two hours right.

Dashiell Elliott: So

Dashiell Elliott: where, if we're starting after six, we're pushing it kind of late,

Dashiell Elliott: so I I guess I want to keep that in mind um, too.

Dashiell Elliott: But I but also I I guess maybe,

Dashiell Elliott: as the meetings continues to go on. We'll kind of get a groove. We'll know how long we're These meetings are lasting. Maybe they won't last the full two hours. So um yeah

Nolberto Delgadillo: it and I was going to chime in, I think um last uh last year. Uh, I can't recall meeting going past seven

Nolberto Delgadillo: or past the two hours, and I think for the most part most meetings were done fairly early, as we were approaching time to write the letter uh folks were very respectful of each other's time, and that was the well. Let's let's break off and and work on it asynchronously um! And so I think that

Nolberto Delgadillo: it's It's two hours, but that doesn't mean it needs to be two hours, so we can say that meetings need to be an hour and a half. Right is that as we get into like something that the chair and co-chairs, and vice versa can help facilitate And so then that would also just also require us to Just

Nolberto Delgadillo: think about having an effective agenda at to Rogers Point, getting, you know, like uh like moving along accordingly, so that we can touch on all the the right uh topics. But uh, just yeah, as as as as the group considers that.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Uh, we do want to be respectful of people's, time and and family and and dinner and and bedtime stories. So yeah, I have two boys, so I I know how how that plays out.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Well, I I think the discussion is uh uh hit. The uh. Historically, the committee has has met at various times, and uh and at six, thirty, and so on.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Um, if you've got this one in your meetings, and so on, and the and like, like. Last year we did a uh adjourn several meetings uh early, and um uh, you don't have to go two hours. You don't have to speak five times on each subject.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Um, so um uh it. It all all depends on whether we're a meeting in person, or whether we're meeting virtually, or we're meeting in some kind of a hybrid format um

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh, uh, uh, I I think if we continue to meet virtually. Um! It's easier to set a time that to start, and the and to adjourn, and um uh uh um, but um uh, otherwise you've got

ROGER KIRCHNER: commute the considerations of of getting to the the profit uh uh, uh, uh uh service center, or

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh our and um and less uh committee, members mayor of mine that we're involving staff members, and we're extending their day, their work day

ROGER KIRCHNER: by extending our hours of our meeting later into the evening. So um uh, and and so sometimes I I I lament that the the board is not very conscious of that, and they they'll go on and on uh, uh, late into the night. And uh, and they they're

ROGER KIRCHNER: literally spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of with staff time so

Nolberto Delgadillo: selfishly I did not check to see if any of those States are Board meeting dates. But, uh,

Nolberto Delgadillo: that's not important. All kidding aside, I think, as a as a committee assesses. Uh to to Roger's point, like thinking about the efficacy of the agenda setting and the conversations along with

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh some flexibility Right? Sounds like depending maybe six. We get like we want robust uh uh robust conversations, folks all in,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and you know, just kind of trying to find that that sweet spot so that folks can come together. Sounds like something like six o'clock to seven, thirty, or five, thirty to to seven thirty, you know. Just thinking about that. But I think that as we collect this, these uh comments and feedback, we'll make sure to bring it back to

Nolberto Delgadillo: to the

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh committee. But uh, I was gonna say before next meeting, which I know that's one of the standing questions as well is thinking about

Nolberto Delgadillo: December uh and and um unfortunately kind of thinking about staff time. We we're going to be tied up with some other committees events on on in December and

Nolberto Delgadillo: wanted to come to the uh group here. This get some feedback, I know. On the agenda. We have a few options

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh around, you know. No meeting in December Um. To having a meetings on some other day. That's not a Thursday,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and even thinking about a synchronous learning uh and and an opportunity to potentially engage with materials or questions. Maybe there's a ongoing conversation

Nolberto Delgadillo: that that folks can tap into, and their respective uh times, or or or during times that fits their respective schedules,

Nolberto Delgadillo: so also want to just get some feedback around the the committee's thoughts for December.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Well, i'll chime in correct uh quickly, and say, uh, if all the dates that are in the chat. There are Thursdays. I i'm fine with that, and uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: and would uh urge the committee to adopt those uh meeting times uh if we wanna change the hour uh i'm open to that as well as as long as it's something that's consistent

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh uh I'm. I'm uh in favor of it. Not meeting in December. But if those uh who who wish to uh participate in asynchronous learning uh uh opportunities uh i'm open to that as well, Lindner, Stephan: can I ask right. We currently don't have meetings in December.

Nolberto Delgadillo: That was a primarily reason that it was being able to find some some dates that also uh allow Staff to be present as we go through the process, so there weren't enough overlap enough overlap to come up with some consistent options for December.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I i'll just add to that, too. Um. So part of that reasoning is because we're holding a lot of budget engagement throughout December and January. Um. And so if we were uh to consider like an asynchronous Um uh

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um December schedule, we could um that would. That could also include um budget engagement events.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Um, that you could attend Um, yeah, just throwing that out there. Um,

It's a shorter month because we have a couple of weeks off um, and we couldn't find

ROGER KIRCHNER: i'm gonna say those too many members that have students in school. Um. Winter break begins on Saturday, the seventeenth of December, and runs till the third of January. So um just be aware of those days.

Well,

Renee Anderson: that's next. So

Renee Anderson: so what are our options for If we met in December, what are the options.

Wednesday. Tuesday.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yeah, we would have to. Um. We could look at a um a Wednesday uh hesitate to say Tuesday, because those are also board meeting. Um. Even so. Yeah, it would probably have to be either a Monday or a Wednesday,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Friday.

Lindner, Stephan: And so it seems like we're both

Lindner, Stephan: sorry I missed that. Could you repeat that? So It seems like we are talking about one of the meetings, and then I think like, uh, because you know, we have um December.

Lindner, Stephan: It's two

Lindner, Stephan: um, and you know it's like so so it seems like you can hit one meeting in there, maybe two

Lindner, Stephan: um. It's in. Say, you have your first day to a Friday. Friday. I think it's done. It's It's

Lindner, Stephan: If you don't find anything there you do. The

Karanja Crews: Jordan is there a timeline on the portal of when we have to get certain things done like, for example, I think there's a letter

Karanja Crews: When when is the letter?

Karanja Crews: Um supposed to be

Karanja Crews: completed.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Yeah. Um, No more to do. You want to? Yeah, Yeah. The The letter to the Board and the local Option Levy certifications happen uh normally, like the first week during the to first ten days of May.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Uh, that's when the information gets presented to the board, So that that means that the committee uh the Cbrc Committee is working on that through the month of April.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Um. And and so in and right it's like building understanding. But, like the actual deliverable happens in May.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yeah, and um, you'll typically around March Um, Probably early March. The committee will will likely decide either to add meetings to the calendar depending on how um!

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): How much time you all want to spend together pulling those reports together. You can also spend a lot of time doing that outside of meetings. So But yeah, I just from my experience last year. Um! There were more meetings kind of pressed into uh March, and may

ROGER KIRCHNER: I I believe the Budget calendar that they, the board, is adopted as a presenting on May ninth.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Sorry I meant to say March in April, I was saying, May I met this in March in April.

Karanja Crews: Could you keep that in the chat? The board uh Budget timeline?

Renee Anderson: Could Could we just make a decision on what time we're going to start, so five, thirty, or six it sounds like

Renee Anderson: right. Does it sound like five, thirty Pm. Or six Pm.

Renee Anderson: Those two times,

Renee Anderson: So

Renee Anderson: should we just vote on five, thirty, or vote on six? Pm:

Lindner, Stephan: I I Second.

Renee Anderson: Okay.

Renee Anderson: How many people want? Five, thirty Pm:

Karanja Crews: Do we put our hand up.

Renee Anderson: Yeah, Do you do that little hand thing, symbol or your real hand? Okay, one, two, three, four

Renee Anderson: uh. Well, you know what?

Renee Anderson: How many people I I I take that back. How many people cannot, what do not want to meet at five, thirty Pm: That would not be a choice.

Renee Anderson: Okay, how many people do not want to meet at six. Pm: That is not your first choice.

Renee Anderson: Oh, you guys,

Renee Anderson: Okay, So So it sounds like five, thirty. Then right?

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): I'm gonna I? Just because I have to record these things down to. And i'm having a hard time keeping up Renee. Um. Could I also ask you all.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Now, if you could in the chat, put either five hundred and thirty or six,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): if you want five, thirty, and put five thirty, if you want six he puts or either. Yeah, sure. Yep. Okay, That way. I can copy and pay.

Renee Anderson: Okay, See you're our board share, Jordan.

Renee Anderson: No, no, no, no.

Sonya H.: And Maybe we can do the same for the December meeting. One, two, or three,

Renee Anderson: yeah, like, When should it be Wednesday? Yeah,

Renee Anderson: i'm supposed to be chatting

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): the apologies. I think I have the the um the settings set so that you could only chat to me. But I did open that up to the whole group. Now

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): i'm just realizing I'm getting a kind of direct messages,

Renee Anderson: can we?

Renee Anderson: Well, you're you're what's going on, I guess.

Bye, here.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Okay, So looks like we have

Nolberto Delgadillo: just kind of looking through it. It seems like it's five, thirty,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and we can do the official account.

Nolberto Delgadillo: It looks like five, thirty,

Nolberto Delgadillo: so so then we'll make plans to start at five thirty,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and then I think Sonia had a great idea regarding December,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and why Don't? We do. I think the options were one, two, three, I believe I can't recall there was a four. I cannot see my

Nolberto Delgadillo: you mean December first, December second, December third. No, no, no, i'm sorry um being able to select option one option, two

Nolberto Delgadillo: or option three don't leave that

Nolberto Delgadillo: i'm going back to the notes here to help us all right. So i'm going to put this in the chat

Nolberto Delgadillo: so that we're all looking at the
Lindner, Stephan: find a time in December that we have a,
Nolberto Delgadillo: and I think when we start thinking about the quorum it may come down to if we're
having to vote on something specific. Um, but without anything to vote on. It may not necessarily be
that big of a It may not be a big concern, I think,
Nolberto Delgadillo: when we think about asynchronous options. For example, i'm thinking of a few
slide decks that we could share. And just like, Hey, when you have a moment, take a look, this video,
or take a look at this slide, and
Nolberto Delgadillo: you know, comments say questions uh a topic that comes to mind is voting for
Co-chair right? So that maybe
Nolberto Delgadillo: maybe that's still too soon, but as an example, there were um any sort of
considerations or conversations. Maybe someone says you know what I thought about it. I want to
throw my head in look forward to having a conversation. But, um! I I think that as we think through
Nolberto Delgadillo: the the stage of building, understanding and sharing information,
Nolberto Delgadillo: That's how I We can leverage in synchronous
Nolberto Delgadillo: if if that's an option for folks.
Sonya H.: And as Jordan mentioned, we could also be part of the Uh Budget uh meetings. That would
be part of it. You'll get the date. We'll share the date, and then you may decide uh, you know, to spend
your Thursday evening with us in December,
Nolberto Delgadillo: doing something else
Nolberto Delgadillo: and looking at the responses. I think it's leaning on three, with
Nolberto Delgadillo: option two coming in uh closely behind,
Nolberto Delgadillo: right
Nolberto Delgadillo: based on what i'm seeing here.
Nolberto Delgadillo: Uh, I believe it is going to be. We'll go with option three, and so then we'll
coordinate accordingly. Um! And and uh work towards a a synchronous like uh sharing information,
and uh
Nolberto Delgadillo: getting information out for folks to review um, and in addition to that, by then
would also would have our um dates for community engagement events
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): exciting. We got through two of the three pieces.
Nolberto Delgadillo: It is a lot more involved in getting folks to nominate getting folks to know each
other. That's all critically important.
Nolberto Delgadillo: Um!
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): If we could um
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): put focus on the the list of potential dates that we can meet for the
remaining a remainder of the year. I don't know if we want to go around and take another vote on that,
or if we want to do that
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): separately. Um, or
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): push that to the next meeting time.
ROGER KIRCHNER: Um! I will say that it's better that you've presented.
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): That's Rogers
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Rogers. Say, Um, I uh, I will say it's It's good for us to have dates on
the calendar ahead of time
Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): for community members who are planning on tuning in or staying
engaged that are not on the committee. Um, and for the board also. Um, just as early as possible. To
have those dates on calendar um is is good. It's a good thing.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So Rogers, though, is to
ROGER KIRCHNER: just say yes to the list that I posted in the
Renee Anderson: I second

Tasz: me, too.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Anybody have any um

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): any issues with the list that I put in the chat.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): If not, we can disagree, and then

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): figure out things as they come along if I had certain dates. Don't work
Renee Anderson: in the chat.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Thank you, Lisa.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Alright,

Renee Anderson: Okay,

Nolberto Delgadillo: Well,

Nolberto Delgadillo: thanks so much, Everyone, I think, as we get towards um. The last sections here.

Um! We'll open it up for for the group as we can uh any questions regarding this, the the process uh

Nolberto Delgadillo: um, or with something not clear regarding the the dates uh just kind of opening it
up for any questions before we close,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and I saw a few chat messages. Yes, and we will be sending out meeting invites
and hold on people's, calendars. So

Nolberto Delgadillo: you'll recent. Jordan will work through that, and you'll see the different meetings
uh meeting date. So we'll have that booked. We'll publish the dates as well on the the the the the

website and um those are the dates right. Those dates five, thirty,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and we'll be working towards that. Um, those

Nolberto Delgadillo: to that schedule.

Karanja Crews: I had a question in the operating agreements

Karanja Crews: in the comments.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Yes,

Nolberto Delgadillo: that you wanna uh, i'm trying to find it. I don't think I see.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Cronj: Are you referring to the the part where it says, evaluate?

Karanja Crews: Yeah, I would just wanna some clarity on it.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Yeah,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): How are you able to see that?

Nolberto Delgadillo: Yes. So

Nolberto Delgadillo: part of So the evaluation process is really taking a look at how the resources.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Um! That the superintendent proposes in the proposed budget are aligned
towards working

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh towards achieving the board goals.

Nolberto Delgadillo: So everything from how are the looking at it at the system level. How are
resources being used to support elementary education? And then what are like? The maybe some
respective initiatives that the superintendent calls out that it are being invested in in elementary or the
math curriculum. And so, as we work towards the presentation of the Superintendent's uh proposed
budget,

Nolberto Delgadillo: we'll have conversations around data. We'll have conversations around initiatives,
instructional framework, and different investments that are happening. Uh, and when I say
investments right, it's, it goes above it goes beyond. Just like dollars is like, How are people being
managed? How it's time being used

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, and so there'll be several components that would then help build your understanding to towards, uh, evaluating the the superintendents. But to to make a determination of like, Yeah, it makes sense that

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, seventy percent of resources are being uh spent uh at school sites, or uh that uh uh, an investment. It's happening in ensuring that

Nolberto Delgadillo: um um counselors or social workers, or or moved into these areas, or different programs are being carried out that Esther funding, for example, is being shifted to support summer programming. So it's like they'll be

Nolberto Delgadillo: several pieces like that to help inform uh the committee's opinion, as they evaluate that that proposal that the superintendent will put together in in April

Nolberto Delgadillo: a lot of like building up to that will also happen in a work session with the Board, which is scheduled in March as well,

Nolberto Delgadillo: and last year was my first full year, but I also welcome Roger Renee. Folks who've been here longer as well. Uh They've had different experiences uh different staff, maybe in different superintendents, and just through time, as far as like. How something of that has has panned out sounds good.

Karanja Crews: When do we? When When is the first draft. Usually um presented

Nolberto Delgadillo: the first draft. The The proposed budget is officially presented towards the end of

Karanja Crews: I I guess. Um! When do we review it? I guess um before are we going to review it before it gets to the public? Um,

Nolberto Delgadillo: Norm? Yeah. So in in collaboration with the board, so that all happens around the same time, and so the board gets it. Um! We. Our goal is for them to get it uh a few weeks in advance.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Uh, and I will share. This past year with was a tough year. As we had vacancies, we we did not have a full team, so we were working uh to meet some of those um debt lines, but that the goal is to get it in advance to give folks a time to process. However, I will share, not just for my experience here, but in other districts as well that it it's a

Nolberto Delgadillo: it's a it's a it's a meeting document. It it's about four to five hundred pages when you put it all together, and it really is compliance driven because your specific requirements that need to be met.

Nolberto Delgadillo: But there are specific sections that we call out, or there would be specific presentations that help summarize uh the information that happened before that April date that the superintendent presents the budget, so there would be elements, whether it's the staffing plan, whether it's uh initiative to support learning, acceleration for our black and native students, and and and all these other efforts that would be

Nolberto Delgadillo: shared out because the Budget book itself been a recites somewhat as a compliance technical document. But we do our best to pull out pieces for for the conversations.

Karanja Crews: Thank you.

Nolberto Delgadillo: Sure thing.

ROGER KIRCHNER: The The simple answer uh is that we we have a very short timeframe in which the we review a very large document that involves a huge amount of money

ROGER KIRCHNER: and um and um uh, So there's a lot of reading involved, and uh, and the the report that we render is drafted within a a ten day period that at least it was last year. So

ROGER KIRCHNER: uh, to give you an example. It it gets really arduous at at the end.

Karanja Crews: Great Thank you for sharing. I was just wondering, you know, if there was enough time, and there was some preliminary things before the draft is even out that we are engaged in to be able to review. Um. But it sounds like,

Karanja Crews: uh, we just review and evaluate during the springtime. Is that what i'm here?

ROGER KIRCHNER: Not necessarily. Um the The staff uh uh, in these preliminary months, leading up to the presentation of the superintendent's budget is an opportunity for us to be briefed on the various sections, for example. Um uh each year.

ROGER KIRCHNER: Um! There's some considerations that the that involve special education uh

ROGER KIRCHNER: ell type of program. So uh, just just to give an example so

ROGER KIRCHNER: briefing, some on on those kinds of subject matter in in in years prior uh, have been helpful. Once once we get this proposed budget to to to aid in our evaluation,

Karanja Crews: are those briefings during our meetings, or that outside of our meeting time

ROGER KIRCHNER: in our meetings

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): we have any more questions for this evening.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): So great questions, Cranjo. Thank you for asking them. Yeah, thank you.

Nolberto Delgadillo: I don't see any hands up.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): If not, I am happy to help close this out. And uh

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Friday couple of last details.

Nolberto Delgadillo: I think that's Roger waving. Goodbye,

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): sweet Um,

Nolberto Delgadillo: uh, thank you. Everyone uh, I think, as some takeaways we'll, we'll send some.

Follow up information and expect the meeting invites, so that you don't forget to come, join us, and um have an amazing our our next

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): meeting officially just saying this for the record, January the twelfth two thousand and twenty-three, with December asynchronous learning throughout

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): um we'll send you some things in December, and then, um again, if you have any questions feel welcome to email me. You have the Google site already. You can also ask questions through that Google form in there.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Call text

Nolberto Delgadillo: It's been awesome. Everybody I I really enjoyed it like my pet is about to explode It's i'm just so excited great to hear. Thank you so much for being here. Yeah, absolutely.

Karanja Crews: Good evening.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Thank you, Kraj. Have a good night.

Jordan (They/Them, PPS Staff): Thank you, Terry.